FW: CENTRAL PARK ATTACKERS ARE ENEMIES OF THE COMMUNITY

Eric Beck rayrena at mail.accesshub.net
Wed Jun 21 15:08:58 PDT 2000

From: Jessica Rockstein <JessicaR at corbis.com To: "'reclaimthestreets at listbot.com'" <reclaimthestreets at listbot.com Subject: FW: CENTRAL PARK ATTACKERS ARE ENEMIES OF THE COMMUNITY Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:58:05 -0700

Reclaim the Streets NYC - http://reclaimthestreetsnyc.tao.ca

-----

CENTRAL PARK ATTACKERS ARE ENEMIES OF THE COMMUNITY Statement by the National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights June 16, 2000

These are the reasons we say that the young men who carried out the sexual assaults in East Harlem on Saturday (6/10/00) and in Central Park on Sunday (6/11/00) are enemies of the Latino and Black communities:

1. Anyone who forces themselves on women in any way is an oppressor. Our communities can only rise with the active participation and leadership of women and the broad acceptance of values which emphasize respect for all members of the community, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. We cannot tolerate any form of abuse or disrespect that intimidates, violates, or reduces the participation of women in our communities' lives.

2. Anyone who adds to the fear and instability of the community is an enemy. Just as we fight racist politicians, greedy slum landlords, uncaring educators and brutal cops whose actions terrorize and hurt our people, so too must we must denounce those among us who perpetuate these actions and frighten us into accepting second-class citizenship.

3. This year’s National Puerto Rican Parade and the celebrations leading up to it told the world that the Puerto Rican people are coming together for progress and are united in our demand that the U.S. Government stop the bombing of Vieques, Puerto Rico. However, the actions of a few at the 116th St. Festival and after the Parade, undermined these positive messages and the honoring of Don Pedro Albizu Campos and Tito Puente and gave ammunition to those who profit from keeping us down. Two million Puerto Ricans, young and old, celebrated our culture and our contributions at the parade; but now sex attacks by mobs of about 50 young men is the only story considered newsworthy.

We call on all Latinos and African Americans to pass this message on. The youth who committed these sex crimes come from our communities. We must make them and others understand the seriousness of attacks on women and that their people reject these actions. For us, this has to be part of a larger campaign to educate young men about respecting boundaries and raising their consciousness that "being a man" is not about dominating women; it is about serving and protecting the community.

We are also clear that condemning the behavior of a group of sexist men in no way implies that all men in our community are criminals. Given the NYPD's history of racial profiling and indiscriminate "sweeps" of young men of color, we should remain vigilant against innocent men being railroaded in this case and against the Mayor using this to justify increased police harrassment of young men of color.

Men should be punished for abusing women. This is another critical aspect of our overall fight for justice and advancement. When it comes to sex crimes against women, don’t expect justice from the NYPD.

The NYPD had 4,000 cops assigned to the parade. They very actively policed the parade. 2,500 cans of beer and 100 bottles of liquor were confiscated. They gave out 700 summonses. (Daily News, 6/14/2000, p.3) Yet, they didn't defend or protect dozens of women who were the victims of sexual assaults. This should not come as a surprise, since the NYPD doesn't protect women within the police department itself.

Just as the NYPD tolerates racism and discrimination within its ranks, so does it tolerate and cover up sexual discrimination and harassment within its ranks. This is part of the police culture. Take the example of Daisy Boria, the cop who broke the "blue wall of silence" in the Anthony Baez case. In 1995, she filed, and later won, a federal discrimination suit that charged that she and other female officers in the Bronx’s 46th Precinct were routinely sexually harassed by their male colleagues, and that the senior officers did nothing to stop it. (NY Times, 10/3/95, p.B6)

Or the sexual discrimination suit that was filed against Chief of Dept. Luis Anemone, after Officer Maria Perhaes Wise objected to cops under Anemone’s command viewing porno magazines in the 34th Precinct. (NY Post, 10/8/95) There are many other examples. Sexual discrimination is part of the police culture, as are domestic abuse and alcoholism. The NYPD, overwhelmingly white and overwhelmingly male, does not train its officers to view race or sex crimes with the seriousness they deserve. We saw that once again in Central Park.

(To contact the National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights Justice Committee: 212 353-7825 or <mailto:rperez at boricuanet.org)rperez at boricuanet.org)

To: Washington Leung/NYC-NY/US/JHMarsh/MMC at MMC cc: From: mac250 at columbia.edu

To: Shandy Mendoza/NYC-NY/US/JHMarsh/MMC at MMC cc: From: Washington Leung/NYC-NY/US/JHMarsh/MMC