you know....

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 15 02:11:49 PST 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, kelley wrote:

> i never used to watch the television much. or even listen to commercial
> radio. but now i've got to be on top of both for my job. so i'm tuned
> into cnn, etc all the time. has CNN always been about the fooking market
> or what?

Fear not, CNN is going to be responsible for the Revolution. One of my favorite tactics as a teacher is to tape a short clip of Stuart or Debra blithering on with some podunkus rentier from Salomon Bros., decode some of the jargon for them and then show my class the precise ownership figures for the stock market (95% owned by the richest 5% of all shareholders). Then I show the European Central Bank's figures on savings and investment, pointing out that the US underinvests in its economy compared to the EU and Japan, owes a cool 2 trillion euros to overseas creditors, and that our real wages have stagnated for 30 years.

They get the idea pretty darn quick, lemme tell ya.

-- Dennis