Rebuttal to Nathan

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Fri Mar 17 08:39:06 PST 2000

Nathan,

The main point is not whether or not NATO officially estimated 100,000 dead Albanians or not. The point is NATO, or at least the US which was running the show, encouraged wild speculation on the POSSIBLE crimes of Milo. I remember reading articles about all the missing Albanian men, and the unmistakeable implication was that something horrible was happening to them (hauled off to concentration camps, executed, etc.).

The reason for this is clear - create an image in the public consciousness that Milosevic is a genocidal maniac (there was also plenty of column space devoted to how evil Milosevic was/is) who is responsible for outrageous crimes in order to whip up and maintain public support for the bombing.

It worked too. While you may or may not have been immune to this sleight of hand, most people were not. I remember arguing with my parents and aunts and uncles over this issue. THEY were convinced that Milosevic was committing genocide, and their support for this claim were the media reports. They believed there were at least tens of thousands of dead Albanians. They were completely snowed.

In fact they basically regurgitated whatever Clinton had said the night before. They had zero background information on the region and therefore no comprehension of the historical context of the conflict, they didn't even know the KLA had been waging a terrorist campaign against Serb police.

According to them, the Serb crackdown materialized out of thin air (more evidence that Milo is simply evil incarnate). We didn't try to reach a diplomatic settlement because, well, there's no dealing with a man like Milo (forget the fact that the US considered him the guarantor of the Bosnian settlement).

Apart from bringing home just how effective propaganda can be, this illustrates that the official NATO estimate is not important. The crucial point is the climate that NATO and US spokesmen created in the media, which was aimed at painting Milo as a genocidal monster in order to maintain public support for the bombing campaign.

Brett