Municipal Ordinances

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 20:32:25 PST 2000

I suggest that you contact the Sugar Law Center, the National Lawyer's Guild litigation office, in Detroit. A few years ago I helped coauthor a chapter on dealing with business location incentives, tax breaks and the like, in a democratic way; this was ina book called No More Candy Store. The business location incentive issue is a bit different but may involve useful ideas,a sk for a copy of the chapter; also, the Guild Law Center may bea ble to help with your research. The current Exec Director is Julie Hurwitz. --Justin Schwartz

<< I'm involved in a local political issue where the USWA is attempting to

support/get a ban on the use of beryllium in manufacturing processes,

including the storage of beryllium in the city of Lorain, Ohio.

A couple of years ago the Brush Wellman Corp. got a nice tax abatement

and other goodies to construct a bronze foundry in an industrial park

located in Lorain.

The problem is that Brush Wellman will not promise the city that they

will not use beryllium in the future in Lorain. Back in the 1940's

Brush Wellman then called Brush Beryllium poisoned it workers, their

families and the residents of Lorain both before and after a fire at

their Lorain plant.

I am looking for a model municipal ordinance that prohibits the use in

manufacturing processes of beryllium, the storage of beryllium or even

the transport thru a municipality of beryllium.