again on china

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 11 14:33:32 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> If I had the nerve, I'd love to do a Julian Simon-style bet with
> Brown on this. I suspect these disasters won't materialize.

The following seems one of the soft spots in Brown's argument:

***** Resisting the import of grain throughout most of 1994, Beijing let prices rise as much

as possible to encourage farmers to stay on the land. In recent years an estimated

120 million people, mostly from the interior provinces, have moved to cities in search of

high-paying jobs. This roofless, floating population, roughly the size of Japan's, wants

to be part of the economic revolution. As a potential source of political instability, these

migrants are a matter of deep concern in Beijing. The government is trying to maintain

a delicate balance, letting the price of grain rise enough to keep farmers on the land

but not so much that it creates urban unrest that could lead to political upheaval.*****

Some recent post (or perhaps something I read elsewhere) suggested that large migrations from rural to urban areas are usually the result of some push, not a voluntary seeking after "high wages." Brown seems to assume the latter in China's case. Perhaps Steve could comment.

Carrol