(no subject)

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Nov 4 20:16:48 PST 2000

"J. Barkley Rosser, Jr." wrote:

> Dennis,
> Would there have been more of a difference
> if the Dems had held Congress in 1994? Should
> we blame Clinton for the loss in 1994? Some
> observers claim that it came because he was
> too leftist, the failed health care plan and gays in
> the military.
> Barkley Rosser

The numbers Max posted are inconclusive. During Reagan the Democrats claimed they were the last bastion of defense of the New Deal. The numbers don't show it. They also gave us some swell tax cuts and slashed the tax rates, among other noteworthy achievements.

Looking over Max's numbers, it seems that even a Congress full of dead turtles wouldn't have changed the overall spending during Clinton's term, since Clinton's spending looks so similar to other Democratic Presidents. Now, Jerry Ford, there's my man.

Blame Clinton? This is a man who was cautious when he shouldn't have been or didn't need to be, and vigorous when it wasn't relevant. Worse, if Clinton was a Republicrat, he failed to live up to his Republican legacy. As for health care, this is a guy who got beat by a bunch of ad men for acturaries...

Dennis Breslin