President Gore

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 12:18:46 PST 2000

I am a lawyer, and I clerk for a federal judge (not in Florida), so let me put my two cents in. The courts are very reluctant to mess with the "political process," particularly with core politics like elections, unless there is clear legislative mandate to do so. A lot depends on the district judge. Some wouldn't touch a challenge that didn't involve outright race discrimination of a blatant sort. Maybe most wouldn't. And then there's the fact that an injunctoion would be appealed to the very conservative 11th Circuit, and, given the magnitude of the issues involved, to the Supremes. --jks