Ralph on race

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 11 09:32:29 PDT 2000

[non-sub'd address]

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:12:55 -0700 (PDT) From: chris niles <chajib at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: Ralph on race To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Nor can he speak inspiringly about race. I certainly don't doubt Ralph's preference for a world free of "racism" and his response here is refreshingly free of any nasty personal digs. But he really did not answer the charge. Nor has he addressed the glaring fact that the Green Party, indeed, much of the movement world that supports him, is just as segragated as the rest of American society. Then again, folks like Manning Marable, as far as I can tell, have also chosen not to address that problem. Sigh.

I might be able to drag myself to the voting booth if Ralph Nader got righteously indignant about whiteness and how it serves as an obstacle to creative thinking, organizing and problem solving in America. Flash: How come Ralph Nader has not made any bold statements about how he might use the Executive Order to address some of his long standing concerns? Is he oppposed to its use?

Niles "If you think you are white, there is no hope for you." James Baldwin

=== message truncated ===