Martial Al's comeuppance

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 08:09:02 PDT 2000

I see I was not the only Presidential debate viewer alarmed by Al Gore's pointless saber-rattling. The current Economist notes that Al's "serial exaggerations" are but one key reason for Bush's current strong showing in the polls:

"[A] ... second explanation for the Bush surge is most notable in foreign policy. Half the second debate was given over to a discussion of things like the violence in the Middle East and the overthrow of Slobodan Milosevic. For the first time, Mr Bush showed himself to be in command of such issues (the focus groups said they thought he looked presidential). He also managed to present a contrast between his own idea of America 'humble and proud' and Mr Gore’s more interventionist, but also potentially more divisive, policy of engagement."

Full text at http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=392625

Carl