"Heterosexual Marriage"!

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 21 05:40:45 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 05:02:03 -0500 Christopher Susi <chris at susi.net> wrote:

> > sexuality is here to stay,

> I dont know if I entirely agree with this.

> Sex is a very messy, dangerous, random, and not even efficient means of
reproduction. In fact, if it didn't evoke such powerfull emotional and physically pleasureable reasponses I doubt humanity would be here today.

War isn't a very effective means of reproduction either. And yet...

Actually, there isn't much you wouldn't be able to fit in the above formula: Religion is a very messy, dangerous, random, and not even efficient means of social reproduction. In fact, if it didn't evoke such powerful emotional and physically pleasureable responses I doubt religion would be here today.

> I believe there are many many indications around us that show that we are on
> the cusp of a major evolutionary step in humanity. Genetic engineering, AI,
> Robotics, nanotechnology all have tremendous implications for our future.

Yes, a woman would be able to give birth to her genetically identical parents. What a major evolutionary step!

> Once this step occurs, how long will it be before wetware (or at best, just
homosapiens) are just a memory?

We're having a difficult enough time switching from fossil fuels to solar power. And now people are going to be asked to stop having sex? I can't wait to see someone running on that platform.

ken