"Heterosexual Marriage"!

Christopher Susi chris at susi.net
Sun Oct 22 04:15:24 PDT 2000

Allow me to adjust my statement (since it did imply a country could be self-sufficient). I'm not saying wellbeing (sic!) is dependent solely on internal devices. Certainly if they were dependent on a foreign land (and therefore part of their support structure) then it is in their best interest to provide aid in times of need. For instance, an argument is made to provide aid to countries who are cutting down rain-forests. In this situation, they are dying of starvation, they cut down rain-forest to provide agriculture and industry, rain-forest depletion reduces world-wide oxygen levels, we need oxygen, we save them from starvation.

My argument can be made on both a macro-level (the demise of an economy or civilization that is not a symbiont) all the way down to a micro-level (the demise of a drug abuser who is not a symbiont). When there is no inherent benefit, why should they be saved? In both cases, they become parasitic and their life or death is irrelevant (though one may argue this point, for argument lets say their demise has no effect save for remorse). I could even make a case (probably a pretty strong one) that if they live and grow strong that they may become a significant threat.

Also, I have never read "the Tempest" (sic!). You know you should never assume, because you know where that gets you. However, if you recommend it, I will put it on my reading list.

============================== From: http://cctc2.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/bracket.htm

Also within quotations, you could enclose [sic] within
used words are not your typos or blunders but are part of an accurately rendered quotation:

Reporters found three mispelings [sic] in the report.

(It is bad manners, however, to use this device to show that another writer is a lousy speller or otherwise unlettered.)