LBO = flame city? (was RE: Survivor!)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:09:55 PDT 2000

kelley wrote:

> the equivalent around here used to be "bourgeois liberal" in terms of when
> it becomes a thread.

Can you cite examples? I should think that most of those who might use it would not because they would regard it as a redundancy. "Liberal" *means* bourgeois in the way that "fox" *means* mammal. Who would speak of a "mammalian fox"? Still, no one is immune to falling into redundancy, so there may be examples to cite. "Bourgeois liberal" would make sense only if we commonly referred to "feudal liberals" or "hunter-&-gatherer liberals."

Carrol