LBO = flame city? (was RE: Survivor!)

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 27 17:27:52 PDT 2000

At 16:49 26-10-00, you wrote:
>G'day Doug,
>
><...>
>
>So I do reckon we've a propensity for sounding off from high moral ground,
>antagonising, intimidating or boring people beyond our cult-like
>convocation, and preferring to focus on the adversarial swopping of
>respectively known and fixed Truths rather than engaging in the process of
>knowledge; which, as I thought most of us would agree, is definitively a
>process of social production, ever a movable feast, and best done in a
>democratically tolerant spirit (Carrol's pronouncement that only one lister
>here may talk about evolution would be a prime example of ensuring that a
>mailing list become a static pissing contest, for instance).
>
>That said, I like LBO-Talk lots and learn heaps - most of the time. And it
>ain't just LBO I'm talking about. Happens everywhere lefties come together
>- really and virtually.
>
>Well, you did ask ...
>
>Cheers,
>Rob

I'm busy developing a sneaking suspicion that there's a hazard in believing our politics are above reproach. Does it tend to grant us a delicious little extra bit of license to behave badly in our personal relationships?

gloomily, Joanna -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20001028/cb759690/attachment.htm>