R.I.P.: Adbusters

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 31 13:23:45 PST 2000

At 03:45 PM 10/31/00 -0500, kelley wrote:
>> >Yup, the Second Annual Steal Something Day is happening at the end of
>> >November.
>>
>> maybe this has already happened but... was trying to explain to my mom
>> what a DDoS attack was so i compared it to everyone going to the mall but
>> just jamming the entrances to the parking lot and the mall so no one could
>> park or get in.
>>
>> then it occurred to me that instead of NOT shopping on the day after
>> Thanksgiving, it would be nice if we had enough people to go to the mall,
>> jam the parking lot with their biggest vehicles and swarm the mall and NOT
>> buy a thing.
>>
>> especially intriguing to me since one of the degradations of the mall is
>> that, unlike other forms of consumption, the shopping mall has been
>> aggressively built to kept it segregated from the rest of life and to keep
>> politics absolutely away from its "private" space.

Another possibility which I overheard through the grape vine is a fake bomb threat - e.g. by chaining an old suitcase to a handrail and then calling mall security with a bomb threat. The beauty of it is a rather small number of people required to do the stunt and creating a real possibility of Stealing Something for all mall goers.

wojtek