R.I.P.: Adbusters

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 31 17:11:03 PST 2000

btw, two thumbs up jim!

check out the FBI's latest search and seizure http://devrandom.net/~dilinger/

>Sounds like a plausible idea, but how about making the mall a site of
>"politics"?

i believe that's just what i'd proposed. of course, there is only One Real Politics right? and that's to make a big stink in some fashion. *sigh*

>Yeah, I know they have mall security, but how about making a surgical
>strike and then leaving? Hand out some flyers (walking through the mall)
>or spraypaint store windows. There's a whole realm of possibilities
>because most people just don't expect this to happen.
>
>Social hacking at the Mall.
>
>Chuck0

well, you can't--they boot you out and they generally have some mall rules posted by the freight elevator or something and most people don't go there unless they are hoping to join the "mall high club" heh.

ever notice that there are few exits and difficult to get to? that's so you can't shoplift as easily. i think it would be really hard to do any of that and get away with it, particularly if you managed to make it the DDoS that i envision and that would be very difficult. you'd have to strategically target certain malls and get people from all over to participate

this would be something that should *really* sneak up on them. you could easily fill the lot, renting vans, every ten drivers or so are instructed to park like an idiot. you could also just get as many vehicles as possible to fill up the lot, as early as possible.

handing out flyers isn't a bad thing to do, but it'd just be perceived as another group of freaks and i personally find that flyers is about as useful as singing union songs or somesuch.

to make it look good you'd have to have some folks buy things errrrr i mean get in line and then jam the line by asking questions, complaining, taking forever to find your credit card and then giving them, one after the other, a bad credit card. particularly wonderful if they have a do it yourself swiper and they can't see that you're swiping a library card.

"oh damn, that one isn't working? here, let me try another."

and so on.

what i'm playing on here is the fact that they have created a space for people to lounge around and don't typically object to "mall walkers" and other sorts of upstanding citizens milling around not necessarily shopping. they flip if you try to use the public space for any sort of leaf letting or political protest or whathaveyou. you can do that on a main street in Podunk USA more often than not. not in a mall because it's all privately owned and they've aggressively enforced the deterioration of the public sphere--what little we had of it.

this wouldn't be political until after you're all done or a few hours into it when they started to wonder what they hell is going on.

kelley