Alternative Fuels

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Sep 18 18:47:31 PDT 2000

michael at ecst.csuchico.edu wrote:

>I agree but very often the discussion seems to imply that alternative

>technologies are an absolute rather than a relative good. Technological

>fixes can help, but they are far from sufficient.

Yes, and human life is imperfect and often disappointing; nothing is

got for nothing, as Emerson said. What's your point here? Half the

time I suspect you'd like us all to become hunter-gatherers.

And what the hell is an absolute good anyway? What is sufficient? We NEED to ask this question. It's a simple one like most philosophy ?'s but we need to really ask it [the "other side" is spooked by the last 9 1/2 months]. We've been playing musical chairs with the economic dimensions of suffering for a long time now and even the North Pole is melting, What is to be done when anger and arrogance are useless?

Ian