Why Boomers suck, or, commodify your self-loathing

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Mon Aug 6 21:11:53 PDT 2001

Note the curious logic of this. Apparently, if I'm suffering the only sound course is for me to make others suffer equally --

> > while the
> >Feds spend $7 on seniors for every $1 they spend on kids and youth

and then --

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Is this drawn from the Mike Males generational warfare playbook? What
> is the point of a comparison like this, if not to imply that we
> "overspend" on seniors? Social Security is one of the few aspects of
> the U.S. welfare state that isn't a total disgrace, and Medicare's
> pretty good too. Should we bring that $7 down to $5 just for
> generational equity?

There is a body of inchoate, but nonetheless strong opinion in the US which holds that equality should be equality of suffering. If I want to glory in my masochism, because, of course, I feel so powerless that I can't do anything about it, then my sadistic side is to attack others who really are weaker than I am.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema