Why Boomers suck, or, commodify your self-loathing

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Aug 7 19:42:30 PDT 2001

> =========
> I got my number from Congressional testimony.
>
> Well didn't social security get started partly because too many
older
> workers were staying in the labor force for 'too' long, and coupled
> with lack of job growth, severely crimping opportunities for new
> workers? And what about all those seniority perks at work, who's
idea
> was that? Isn't it funny we hear of the boomer's complaining about
> young whippersnappers comin' in and taking their job a fraction of
the
> salary? And isn't there just a little bit of an age bias in the
power
> structure of capital, gerontocracy/oligarchy jokes and all that? I'm
> not advocating generational warfare by any means, but there does
seem
> to be something to conflicting time preferences that don't
necessarily
> map well onto class interests. How would we overcome this? More life
> cycle research?
>
> Ian
============== Considering any post-capitalist society will still have to come to terms with time, chance/uncertainty, ethics, preferences, production etc.

Ian

Why Posterity Matters: Environmental Policies and Future Generations, Avner de-Shalit, (London: Routledge, 1995) 155pp.

ABSTRACT: Why Posterity Matters: Environmental Policies and Future Generations is a philosophical examination of how future generations must be considered in the formulation of contemporary environmental policy. de-Shalit offers one approach for structuring an obligation to future generations.

This work is of interest to those who are concerned with the effect of contemporary environmental policy on future generations. de-Shalit begins his book with an explanation of a "trans- generational community" and an examination of the possibility of this re-conceptualization of community supporting obligations to future generations. Thus, de-Shalit hopes that a communitarian theory writ-large will support both positive and negative obligations to even remote generations. The author asserts that lack of temporal continuity between remote generations is not problematic because they have; cultural interaction and moral similarity.

Chapter two focuses upon applications of the theory of trans-generational communities. Chapter three examines Utilitarian theory and the not-yet-born. de-Shalit addresses Utilitarian theory and population policy and questions of trans-generational distribution. In support of his views that Utilitarianism is more trans-generational friendly than other moral theories, and that it would disallow discounting, the author quotes Sidgwick: "... the time at which a man exists cannot affect the value of his happiness from a universal point of view."

Contractarian theories, specifically that of John Rawls, are examined in chapter four. Theories of mutual advantage and the multi-generational context, and theories of justice as impartiality and inter-generational justice are examined. In the next chapter, the controversial question of the rights of future people are addressed. Specifically, the author examines: human rights and welfare rights. de-Shalit concludes with a chapter which succinctly presents the advantages to his communitarian theory of inter- generational justice. The most promising of these advantages is that de-Shalit's theory releases the present generation from: dependence upon impossible information about future generations, the ontological issue of potential versus actual persons and: the theory is non-atomistic and assists the present generation in identifying the content of our obligations to future generations.