Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Aug 9 15:41:18 PDT 2001

I meant to add one more thought to my last email with Kelley. It really is not enough just to say that the solution to eugenic abortion is to fight against prejudice. This presumes that the human environment is the product of ideas and attitudes. Stigmatization, etc., basis for prejudice is a false idealism. Prejudice does not offer a satisfactory explanation of the belief formation and fails to appreciate the materiality of social practices.

The view of disability as an attitudinal structure avoids the issue of how these ideological realities formed. So, if one is sincere, one needs to do something to alter the material reality that is oppressive to disabled persons - in this instance being actively for in home supportive services for all disabled persons (and their parents, if the child is a minor) is a good start.

kelley wrote:

apparently those who don't make this distinction
> (presumably people who have sex w/out protection and by subtle implication
> your interlocutors here) are totalitarians.

You sure can go off the deep end.

I just do not have as much time as you for going on and on so forgive me if I don't consent to get into this one.

It astounds me how some people can spend so much time on line. Don't you have to do things like make money or earn a living? I sure do. In fact, I'm on another deadline so I probably won't be posting for quite a while.

Marta