EU

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Aug 16 10:58:19 PDT 2001

Yoshie:
> > I doubt that any non- & anti-fascists have _literally died_ to defend
> > fascists' right to freedom of speech & ever will.

jean-christophe helary:
> still, 'normal' people are so brainwashed that they think
> fighting for the oppressor's right equals fighting for their
> own rights. the fact that they 'think' does not imply that
> they'll actually do anything. but the fact that they don't
> do anything is even worse. they don't get any chance to see
> the contradiction in what they think.

I think the deal is that if you fight for your _own_ right of free speech or whatever, and you succeed, then the fascists can get in on the deal. That's the nature of "free speech", if it's free. On the other hand, you don't _have_ to support free speech or free anything else. There are all kinds of reasons and methods to regulate speech and everything else people do. If one is going to be an anti-fascist in this mode one merely needs to be careful to distinguish one's own _good_ authoritarianism from the _bad_ authoritarianism of the other guys.