Maoists in RAWA? Re: Taliban/Birmingham

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 1 08:14:21 PST 2001

>At 10:09 AM 11/29/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>Furuhashi wrote:
>>
>>>RAWA (whose agenda should be perfectly harmless to the Empire)
>>
>>Why do you say that? What do you see as RAWA's agenda? Is the
>>"Revolutionary" part of their name simply gestural?
>>
>>Doug
>
>they were anti-commie. bad RAWA, bad.
>
>kelley

Citing Tariq Ali, Doug claims that Maoists are playing an important role in RAWA:

At 8:34 PM -0500 11/25/01, Doug Henwood wrote to Rad-Green:
>Tariq Ali told me that RAWA is full of revolutionaries of various
>sorts, with Maoists playing an important role.

I heard the same rumor from two leftists whose politics isn't close to Doug's.

Is it true that Maoists were or are in RAWA, shaping its politics? Maoism may possibly explain RAWA's anti-Sovietism (which isn't the same as anticommunism), but other than that, I don't see the impact of Maoists (who would be normally very big on organizing peasants in the countryside, analyzing the contradiction between town and countryside, etc.) on the politics of RAWA (which seems to focus on the main concerns of educated urban Afghan women now in exile). Does anyone have more info on this topic? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>