permissiveness: the cause of terrorism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 16:23:00 PST 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>>Max Sawicky wrote:
>>
>>>On the shows I've heard, you can also detect
>>>euphemisms "New Yorkers" or "anti-christian bigots" that have
>>>an anti-semitic (broadly speaking) undertone.
>>
>>It's there for sure, but "New York" also represents red, queer,
>>foreign, heterogeneity, mixing, cosmopolitanism, urbanity, density -
>>all those things that make paranoid nativists anxious.
>
>A trifle dated, Doug. "New York" these days means Ground Zero,
>epicenter of America's new solidarity, pride and general uber alles.
>Moreover, today's Rudyville version of New York City is Middle
>American-friendly in the extreme -- with a Gap, Pizza Hut or
>McDonald's every block *plus* the Today show stars right there in
>person at Rockefeller Center giving out autographs.

You snipped this part:

At 4:19 PM -0500 12/17/01, Doug Henwood wrote:
>If only NYC after Rudy lived up to the fantasy!

But the fantasy part dies hard - what do you think Max's callers are raving about, Planet Hollywood? Besides, there are quite a few red, queer, foreign, etc. types left in NYC, if you step away from the tourist spots. Also, Middle America's infatuation with NYC is no doubt waning. If it isn't, where's our damn wad of federal cash?

Doug