HILLARY GLAMOUR SPIRAL INTENSIFIES

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 2 07:10:59 PST 2001

Yes, this is from the Drudge Report. But the mainstream papers will be on it yet, I assure you. CK

HILLARY GLAMOUR SPIRAL INTENSIFIES: 'I DON'T HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING', FORMER FIRST LADY CONFIDES TO FRIENDS

WASHINGTON -- Growing intrigue continued late this week on Capitol Hill surrounding former First Lady turned senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's on-the-job appearance.

Grooming and glamour points fell below freezing with the former First Lady at times wearing no make-up, no lipstick, no fingerpolish, and donning large blanket-styled shawls at Senate business meetings.

"Are you feeling well, Mrs. Clinton?" one concerned fellow senator asked the First Lady.

Sen. Clinton responded that she felt a slight chill.

"Should we ask a steward to check the thermometer and turn up the heat?" asked the colleague.

On Wednesday the First Lady appeared on the Hill in a big purple wrap.

During one meeting Sen. Clinton, covered thyroid-to-toe in the purple, gazed at a painting on the wall, sad and distant, melancholy, according to eyewitnesses.

With her hair limp, combed down and parted at the center, she slowly sipped water from a styrofoam cup.

After the DRUDGE REPORT splashed startling photos of the newly confirmed not-quite-coiffed Clinique-free Gandhi-esque freshman senator, and talk about her style spiral intensified throughout the capital, the First Lady confided in friends, "I don't have to prove anything, I'm here to work for the people."

The WASHINGTON TIMES is planning a Friday spread on the First Lady's brave new fashion frontier, according to publishing sources, featuring an on-the-record interview with Hillary's hairdresser.

X X X X X