Query for books about class

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 19:53:00 PST 2001

What level of sophistication are we talking about?

More elementary:

G. William Domhoff, Who Rules America Now. Current edition. D is the premier (technically nonMarxist) empirical analyst of the ruling class. His stuff is understandable by a high school graduate.

William Ryan, Blaiming the Victim, also Equality. Both older, but very clear and accessible.

Philip Green, Equality and and Democracy.

Intermediate:

Ralph Miliband, Divided Societies. An excellent, accessible Marxist approach, very nicely written

Mike Davis, Prisoners of the American Dream. A Reagan-era history of the US working class, its divisions, and its dependency on the Democratic Party, written in Davis' usual glittering style. Davis' City of of Quartz, about LA, is a great case study.

Sophisticated:

Erik Wright, Classes, The Debate on Class, Class Counts. Wright is the most serious empirically minded Marxist sociologist doing work on class today. He operates from an analytical Marxist perspective. His views are summarized in the essays in Interrofating Inequality.

J.F. Sitton's Crrent Marxian Theory has a good discussion of Wright along with other contemporary Marxist classd theory.

E.P. Thompson, The Making of the English Working Class. Long, gorgeously written history of class in England in 1790-1830, the locus classicus of the "suibjective" processes theory of class; EPT argues that classes make themselves. It takes some effort to transpose the thought to modern America; would go with with Davis' Prisoners.

--jks