Clinton Apologia (Re: Rightward ho!

Thu Jan 4 10:18:23 PST 2001

Essentially the same question to two posters.

>>> shmage at pipeline.com 01/04/01 12:47PM >>>
Nathan wrote:

"...I'm not making a big case for the revolutionary gains from voting Democratic. All I'm arguing is there is no revolutionary gain from voting alternatives and there are non-revolutionary losses in the marginal reforms progressive Dems are able to pass on occasion..."

The point you consistently miss is that "revolutionary gains," if the phrase has any meaning, has a *historical* meaning. The historical prerequisite for a proletarian revolutionary movement anywhere is the emergence of an independent workingclass political movement.

(((((((((

CB: Do you base this on the success of any proletarian revolutionary movements in the actual world in history ? Where ? Russia ? Cuba ?

>>> bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com 01/03/01 09:15PM >>>
The creation of an independent progressive left political organization with mass influence is absolutely the most important issue that US leftists face. Without it, there is no US Left, only what we have now, a disorganized mass of individual leftists. This task will inevitably mean the destruction of the Democratic Party, whose principal role in the US party regime is to block the road to its achievement. It is for this reason that, on this all important issue, the Democrats are the greater, and not lesser, evil vis-a-vis the Republicans. It is also for this reason that the destruction of this party should be at center of any strategy to accomplish this task.

CB: Do you happen to have an actual historical example wherein the formation of an independent left political organization succeeded in your opinion ?