back up horror stories

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Jan 17 23:30:49 PST 2001

first, anyone remember julian's (from the UK; sociology of music diss) email address. i recall that he migrated to a provider in the UK, begins with a B, had some problems with a hackers early last summer... i ask because julian had a funny story about someone who had his diss stored in about 5 different ways.

anyway, i'm looking for (i don't) backup (my files) horror stories. if you have any funnies or not so funnies to share, let me know. i might tell the one about bad subjects listers getting resubbed because bad list admin didn't back up the subscriber list as they should. some of you probably remember how Carenegie's e-server would go down for days. when it went back up, a bunch of people, who'd managed to get unsubbed after months of being unable to, would automagically find themselves getting the dreaded mail from the bad subjects list. heh.

thanks,

kell