scripture

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 29 18:50:33 PST 2001

[posted from non-sub'd address]

From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:58:19 -0500 Message-ID: <NEBBJEMHKLMPEMNJLPEIEELGCGAA.sawicky at bellatlantic.net>

"Dr Laura" has said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, she feels homosexuality is an abominaton according to

Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance.

The following is an Open Letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which

was posted on the Internet:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I

have learned a great deal from your radio show, and I try to share

that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to

defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that

Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advise from you, however, regarding some of the specific

Bible laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates

a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my

neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I

smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in

Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair

price for her? She's 18 and starting University. Will the slave buyer

continue to pay for her education by law ?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in

her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The

problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take

offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and

female, provided they are purchased from neighboring

nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not

Canadians. Can you clarify? ....Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus

35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally

obligated to kill him myself, or should this be a neighborhood

improvement project ?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than

homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I

have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading

glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle

room here? Would contact lenses help ?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair

around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden

by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes

me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing

garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester

blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really

necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town

together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to

death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with

their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you

can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal

and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.