[male] homoerotics (was Re: Tibet)

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 14:49:07 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> I wonder about this. Doesn't this sound more like
> the men who, in
> prison, make sure they aggressively penetrate other
> men rather than be
> penetrated because at least, in the absence of
> women, they thereby avoid
> the passive feminine rôle? Once out of prison, of
> course, they wouldn't
> be caught dead having any homoerotic experiences.

On a different level entirely, in addition to correcting my mis-quote, the below alludes to homo-homosexuality in a way that might interest you.

Alec

http://gort.ucsd.edu/jhan/ER/rr.html

Richard Rorty:

I agree with Cornell that one of Derrida's central contributions to feminism is that "he explicitly argues that fundamental philosophical questions cannot be separated from the thinking of sexual difference" (Cornell 1991, 98). Indeed, I should go further and say that Derrida's most original and important contribution to philosophy is his weaving togther of Freud and Heidegger, his association of "ontological difference" with gender difference. This weaving together enables us to see for die first time the connection between the philosophers' quest for purity, the view that women are somehow impure, the subordination of women, and "virile homosexuality" (the kind of male homosexuality that Eve Sedgwick calls "homo-homosexuality", epitomized in Jean Genet's claim that "the man who fucks another man is twice a man"). Compared to this insight (which is most convincingly put forward in Derrida's "Geschlecht I"), the grab bag of easily reproduced gimmicks labeled "deconstruction" seems to me relatively unimportant.