Montesinos to Peru, Milosevic to the Hague

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 4 13:35:16 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> This is all good, because the targets of this kind of thing so far have been
> people the left sees as enemies. But I'm sure the right will try to grab ahold
> of it too. Already there have been efforts by the Miami Cubans (called "chusma"
> by Luis Ortega, my favorite Spanish columnist), to indict Fidel Castro for
> shooting down the Hermanos al Rescate (Brothers to the Rescue) airplane a few
> years ago.

I was one of those who attacked as viciously as I could leftists who yelled hurrah about the Spanish attempt to try Pinochet. "Inernational Justice" can serve no cause except that of U.S. imperialism. Debating it intellectually is beside the point -- those who support such international justice are as beyond reason as those who believe in spontaneous combustion. It has become obvious over the last 50 years that the War Crimes trials of the '40s were an unmitigated disaster.

Carrol