Reapproachment calls for practical actions with Internationals against Israeli Occupation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 20 22:02:01 PDT 2001

Brad Mayer writes:

>>Join with the International Solidarity Movement, the Rapprochement Center,
>>and numerous international individuals and groups coming in August for 10
>>days of opposition to and exposition of Israeli occupation of Palestinian
>>land.
>
>Although one can only support your call, and utterly admire the
>courage of those willing to put their lives on the line this way, I
>believe your focus is, perhaps tragically, misplaced.
>
>First, you are confronting a real killer regime here, with no
>compunction about killing "foreigners" who get in the way. If you
>get into danger, you quite likely will be killed.
>
>Unless, that is, you are an American. Americans getting into the
>line of danger, that might give them pause to think, and Americans
>getting killed, tragically, would certainly cause a stink. In the
>USA.

In the process of Central & Latin American solidarity activism, some American activists did get brutally raped, tortured, & murdered, which didn't change the course of history much.

>Which is where we must raise a ruckus like nowhere else. And at
>much less cost. Focus our nonviolent actions on the disgusting US
>Congress, who _overwhelmingly_ bellowed their approval of the
>collective punishment of the Palestinian people in a resolution
>passed last October, and who routinely award Tel Aviv with ever more
>armaments.
>
>What actions do you propose HERE in the USA?

I think we should try to join & expand the divestment campaign started by Students for Justice in Palestine at UC Berkeley (see <http://www.justiceinpalestine.org/>). When the movement grows, it can make US Congress the main target.

Yoshie