[ASDnet] NLG Condemns G8 Repression and Use of Live Ammunition

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Mon Jul 23 22:39:54 PDT 2001

>The comparison of this dude (not by Nathan or
>the NLG) with Goodman/Chaney/ Schwerner is
>obscene.
>
>mbs

Considering you know next to nothing about the late Carlo Giuliani, "obscene" might be a little extreme. They all were killed while young, no? The person who made the comparison probably doesn't know much more than you do, so that comparison might be a little extreme as well. Maybe the guy just hated cops and enjoyed throwing stuff at them while high on drugs? Maybe not, however. From what I've read, the "dude's" father is a well-known trade union leader and he was a veteran protester.

I will always think of him as a martyr of sorts, as sort of a symbol of all those people who put their necks on the line these last couple of years in order to protest and engage in a little civil disobedience. (Perhaps Giuliani isn't a Goodman/Chaney/ Schwerner, but how about an 21st-century Crispus Attuks? http://www.crispusattucks.org/crispusattucksthepatriot.htm )

After two years of these protests, the WTO will hold its next meeting in the totalitarian nation of Qatar and the G8 will hold next year's meeting up on top of mountain in Canada. Today's Wall Street Journal had an editorial that argued that the world's most powerful nations shouldn't be scared off like that. The subtext read almost as if they were arguing for standing tall against the protesters with live ammunition, if you know what I mean.

Peter