Fwd: Re: Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri Jun 1 09:41:59 PDT 2001

At 09:53 AM 6/1/01 -0500, Michael McIntyre wrote:

>BTW, I enjoyed the gossip and confess to the venial sin of
>Schadenfreude. But gossip isn't fun anymore once you have to find good
>"moral" justifications for it.
>
>Michael McIntyre

i'm confused.

i don't see how you can dissociate any of this from his political views.

the double standard, as doug pointed out, is classic, and i'd say that it goes hand in hand with his attitudes toward women, politically.

so, i'm not sure how katha is finding good "moral" justifications for schadenfreude. the guy has some incredibly sexist ideas. the response he wrote was dripping with it. did no one notice this? waaaa! boo hoo i actually have to go out on a second date. oh please! does no one see how he's lying even here. first, he tells us he's famous and that sucks. so, you mean to tell me that someone who knows he's andrew sullivan doesn't know he is +, so he tells him on the second date and he might get rejected?

ANOTHER LIE. that's my guess. but it's not only that, it's incredibly sexist-- constituted from the point of a view of a man who finds it a burden to have to be responsible for his sexual activities because those activities might have consequences.

bummer!

but no, sullivan's participation and encouragement of a cult that glorifies unprotected sex as some sort of "natural" and "real" sex is supposed to be justified. ahh. i see. right. we expend energy getting people to see that penetration sex isn't necessarily the only "real" sex, but gay men get to glorify penetration sex as the only "real" sex.

okeydokey.

kelley