Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Jun 1 10:07:11 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kelley at interpactinc.com>
>but no, sullivan's participation and encouragement of a cult that glorifies
>unprotected sex as some sort of "natural" and "real" sex is supposed to be
>justified. ahh. i see. right. we expend energy getting people to see that
>penetration sex isn't necessarily the only "real" sex, but gay men get to
>glorify penetration sex as the only "real" sex.

No, an individual like Sullivan has the right to define sexual enjoyment how he wishes, without being judged for it, what I thought the point of sexual freedom was all about.

But now the standard is not to respect the whole range of sexual tastes but to treat the desire for unprotected pentration as a deviant fetish, a "cult." Reversing hierarchies is not liberation; it's its own form of hypocrisy.

As words like "cult" get thrown around, Sullivan's use of the phrase sexual McCarthyism begins to look less overblown than I thought it was at first.

-- Nathan Newman