Fwd: Re: Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at wppost.depaul.edu
Fri Jun 1 10:01:36 PDT 2001

>>> kelley at interpactinc.com 06/01/01 11:41AM >>

i'm confused.

i don't see how you can dissociate any of this from his political views.

the double standard, as doug pointed out, is classic, and i'd say that it goes hand in hand with his attitudes toward women, politically.

>>MM: I agree with all of this. But I didn't need to know that AS was traducing his much-proclaimed virtue on the internet to find his political views repugnant. And I didn't find them any less repugnant then than I do now. This is not an argument for dissociating anything.

so, i'm not sure how katha is finding good "moral" justifications for schadenfreude. the guy has some incredibly sexist ideas. the response he wrote was dripping with it. did no one notice this? waaaa! boo hoo i actually have to go out on a second date. oh please! does no one see how he's lying even here. first, he tells us he's famous and that sucks. so, you mean to tell me that someone who knows he's andrew sullivan doesn't know he is +, so he tells him on the second date and he might get rejected?

>>MM: We all started trying to find good reasons for our glee at this juicy bit of gossip well before Katha weighed in. My personal bout with Schadenfreude kicked in before AS's response to the whole episode, and it went something like this: "I'm not surprised you fucker! I hope they drag your slimy Tory ass through the dirt on this! I hope people point at you in the street! I hope every friend you thought you had laughs behind your back!" Shit, Kelley, that's still what I think, but I'm not going to pretend that it's a principled political stand. AS is a prick, now a lot more people are going to know that he's a prick, and he's going to suffer a little. Works for me.

ANOTHER LIE. that's my guess. but it's not only that, it's incredibly sexist-- constituted from the point of a view of a man who finds it a burden to have to be responsible for his sexual activities because those activities might have consequences.

bummer!

but no, sullivan's participation and encouragement of a cult that glorifies unprotected sex as some sort of "natural" and "real" sex is supposed to be justified. ahh. i see. right. we expend energy getting people to see that penetration sex isn't necessarily the only "real" sex, but gay men get to glorify penetration sex as the only "real" sex.

okeydokey.

kelley

>>MM: For my money, AS can reify and glorify penetration sex as the only "real" sex to his heart's (or his glutes') content, and that's still a step up from his high-church choir-boy tory-bastard you-queers-are-ruining-it-for-the-rest-of-us moralizing.

Michael McIntyre