coerced treatment

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 13 13:43:46 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> What's the practical alternative to "the for-profit nursing home
> industry, the adult 'care' industry, the home 'care' industry, state
> institutions for the deaf, the blind and the 'incurables'"? Since
> you appear to be arguing against both state & corporate institutions
> (as well as anything in-between), what is left? Families? Friends?
> Living alone?

I am overposting here -- this will be my last one for the day.

Desegregation -- that means quit confining disabled persons to institutions and provide the option for one to live in the community like nondisabled people do for starters. Some nondisabled persons live with family, some live with friends and some live alone.

Segregation is the historical reality for disabled persons, and not coincidentally the proliferation of institutions coincides with the rise of capitalism. Marta