coerced treatment

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 13 13:06:35 PDT 2001

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>
>> What's the practical alternative to "the for-profit nursing home
>> industry, the adult 'care' industry, the home 'care' industry, state
>> institutions for the deaf, the blind and the 'incurables'"? Since
>> you appear to be arguing against both state & corporate institutions
>> (as well as anything in-between), what is left? Families? Friends?
>> Living alone?
>>

>I am overposting here -- this will be my last one for the day.
>
>Desegregation -- that means quit confining disabled persons to
>institutions and provide the option for one to live in the community
>like nondisabled people do for starters. Some nondisabled persons
>live with family, some live with friends and some live alone.
>
>Segregation is the historical reality for disabled persons, and not
>coincidentally the proliferation of institutions coincides with the
>rise of capitalism.
>Marta

That makes sense, but in that case, our argument would be _for_ home care necessary for assisted living, directly or indirectly provided by the state, & improvement of it for both disabled persons & care-giving workers. Clarifying what disabled persons & care-giving workers need helps us better than a broad-brush criticism of the medical profession tout court.

Yoshie