Historcal Materialism and Racism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:33:29 PST 2001

Historical materialism is not crude economic determinism. It does not trace everything back to the bottom line. As I understand it, HM says the economy provides a structural framework that explains why causes of social phenomena, which may not be economic at all, have the effects they do. In the present context, there is a lot of psychosexual charge to racism (would you want one to marry your daughter, etc.) Winthrop Jordan is the best on this as far as I know.

But those impulses, which could go in lots of directions, gety channelled into a racialized class subordination: they are used to keep Blacks as cheap labor. Capitalists benefit if workers are divided and Blacks acn be used to threaten white workers. I don't mean that this is necessarily conscious and deliberate, though sometimes it is, but generally speaking it doesn't have to be.

It's rather than attitudes, activities, and organizatiobs that are consilient with the needs of capital are find less resistance than those that oppose such needs. In that way, functionally useful ideologies are selected for, and functionally harmful ideologiesa re selected against. Marx discusses this clearly in his treatment of anti-Rish racism among 19th century English workers.

--jks