Peter Singer and Redeeming Characteristics

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Tue Mar 13 15:50:18 PST 2001

>>>>> "marta" == Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> writes:

marta> Yes he does. He acknowledged that in a debate with Adrianne

marta> Asch at Princeton.

Oh, come on, surely you'll agree that anecodatal ephemera is useless in a conversation about ideas. If he did in fact do that, I suspect he misspoke. I'll certainly take into account a transcript of any conversation Singer had with Adrianne Asch (at Princeton or anywhere else), as long as Singer and Asch agree that it's accurate.

Clearly from his public work, however, what he attributes negative value to is *pain*; I mean, after all, he's a utilitarian. That's what they do.

marta> Why don't you read the past discussion first cause you don't

marta> know what you speak about. I don't have the time to recount

marta> it all for you. marta

If you don't want to discuss Singer, why not just say that and forego the casual dismissiveness?

Best, Kendall Clark -- If you've gotta blacklist, I wanna be on it. -- Billy Bragg