Fw: Mass Direct Action in India Planned

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 14 12:51:36 PST 2001

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>>>"According to the libertarian litany, if an industry or an institution is
>>>making a profit, it is satisfying "wants" whose origins and content are
>>>deliberately disregarded. But what we want, what we are capable of wanting
>>>is relative to the forms of social organization. People "want" fast food
>>>because they have to hurry back to work, because processed supermarket food
>>>doesn't taste much better anyway, because the nuclear family (for the
>>>dwindling minority who have even that to go home to) is too small and too
>>>stressed to sustain much festivity in cooking and eating...
>>
>>I don't know about you, but I just don't feel like cooking tonight.
>>And I can have a lot more festivity in cooking and eating by
>>stopping at Uncle Yu's on the way home...
>
>Ah, yes, immigrant labor provides a market-based replacement for the
>formerly unpaid household labor of women. Festivity can take so many
>forms!
>
>Doug

Uncle Yu's makes a pan-fried lobster with scallions and jalapenos to kill for. I cannot, however, vouch for the authenticity of the recipe, however: it has lots of jalapenos. And they use those clawless Australian lobsters, so there is no claw meat.

What business do Indo-Pacific lobsters have living without those big claws, anyway?

Our next plan is to do for Balmain Bugs what the New Zealand Fruit Marketing Board did for the Chinese Gooseberrry...