Exploitation ofa academics (was reparations)

Jlcranford at aol.com Jlcranford at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 09:55:17 PST 2001

I work for the EPA, a serious science-based organization, but in the two office in which I've worked about half of my colleages--myself included--are humanities grads. Of the ones I know, some are happy with their careers, but many are still trying to find something closer to their original interests. Most also have had to get some sort of business-ish degree to "prove their seriousness." (For myself, I was in the happy camp for a while--I got the goofy MBA--but now after 7 years I'm trying to decide whether to return to the academic world to begin a PhD program. Anyone happen to have an opinion on the New School's PhD program in philosophy?)

--Jennifer

<< Hey, Kelly, I had to go to law school to get a job in my 30s after I was canned. Other frienbds of mine in similar situation report that for humanities stypes w/o technical skills, business people are very reluctant to hire them, they are viewed as having goofed off, not having had real jobs, not being serious, and also as being snooty and unlikely to fit in. --jks