lbo-talk-digest V1 #4343

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Mon May 14 21:21:48 PDT 2001

Aaack! Along the same line, we've just started advertising for the next session of our weight loss class here at the hospital. Our class costs $45. It basically tells you what you already know (eat less, exercise more), and then shows you some ways you may not have thought of to do this. But - it has no magic, and there are a lot of people who want magic and are disappointed when I tell them what the class is about. "Oh - I thought there was something new." Nope. Nothing new. What's true doesn't change.

I just talked to a woman today who had spent $800 a year ago on a seminar by somebody whose line was that wheat (among other things) was a kind of poison which everyone should eliminate from their diet until they were "detoxified" and then introduce back in judiciously. Somehow this toxin made you fat (she couldn't explain the rationale, nor why you would start eating it again if it was toxic). She lost weight, and then gained it back. I can't imagine how the people that sell these programs live with themselves, but they apparently are able to.

But - I have a hard time living with myself sometimes, too. What I do for a living is idiotic.

Les