Ashcroft's prayer circle

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat May 19 14:08:06 PDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Daniel Davies wrote:

> Wicca dates back to around 1953, when a British civil servant decided
> to discover a whole load of previously unknown traditional rites, add
> a lot of sexual imagery to attract the nuttier fringes of the nudist
> movement

Just out of curiousity, what was the name of this naked civil servant?

All these Wiccan/Christian parallels impel me to interject one of my favorite song parodies, sung to Give Me That Old Time Religion, It's Good Enough for For Me:

We will worship Aphrodite Though she is a trifle flighty And she wears a see-through nightie But that's good enough for me!

Let us all now worship Buddha As a deity, none's cuter Comes in silver, brass or pewter And that's good enough for me!

I declare I'll worship Loki Who is the great Norse God of Chaos Which is why this verse doesn't rhyme or scan But that's good enough for me!

We will worship Zarathrustra We will worship Zarathrustra I'm a Zarathrustra booster 'cause that's good enough for me!

There are, no joke, about 500 more verses available. Its seems to have been started by the Wiccans themselves (whose campfired ranks doubtless harbor many fugitive singer-songwriters) in the 1970s, and now the internet archives have now given it a chance to blossom into rank luxuriance amidst the light bulb and viola jokes.