doctor disease redux

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Thu May 24 05:57:27 PDT 2001

Wojtek wrote:

What is so unreasonable in my posting? Are you suggesting that there are no children throwing tantrums? I am not saying that every child does that, most of them probably do not, but the problem of "hyperactive" out of control children is quite real in this country.

In fact, I've witnessed instances of those - it involves screaming, uncontrolled aggression that involves kicking & punching others, throwing objects, and running wildly. The only way to control such a child is to physically restrain it. If that happens in a public place (e.g. a department store), the probablity of someone calling the cops or taking your licence plate number and reporting you to authorities for alleged "child abuse" are quite high. Medicating such a child seems a very reasonable preventive measure to avoid both the unruly behavior and unpleasant consequences of trying to deal with it.

That may offend the sensibilities of the sandal-and-bead wearing "liberals" who think that a child should be able to freely express any emotion it feels, but in my book this is yet another symptom of this societey's decadence. Every normal society, human and animal alike, takes measures, sometimes quite draconian, to prevent unruly, out-of-control behavior in their young. Medication seems one of the most humane of them.

wojtek

This post comes after all the others, but I'll contribute since your post is directed at me specifically Wojtek. To put my answer succinctly: you're using a rocket-launcher to kill cockroaches.

Your post failed to mention the context of drugging a child; it seemed to indicate approval for drugging children when they become a nuisance (read: embarrassing to the caretaker).

Are hyperactive children solely a twentieth-century North American phenomenon?

Yes, if a kid gets "uncontrollable" it might be necessary to physically restrain him or her, especially if flailing arms and legs could hurt the child, but to go a step further a endorse medication to shut the kid up, why not just feed the kid beer throughout the day (if not their childhood) and keep it in a stupor until it reaches 18 and you can legally boot it out of the house (one can should do the trick, and it's got to be cheaper than meds).

I would imagine that some Good Samaritan could mistake the context of the tantrum and the parent's reaction should the parent restrain the child. The same Samaritan could also be mistaken if the child were to scream "rape" or "help." It's a risk, but the confusion is understandable.

As for the last paragraph of your post: a "normal" society, if it takes measures to prevent unruly behaviour in its young children, should also "normally" take measures, sometimes quite draconian, to prevent "unruly" behaviour in it's populace as well. Replace "young" with "leftist."

(So much more to say, but no time now.)

Todd