Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 2 15:21:40 PST 2001

Michael Perelman wrote:

>They argue against planning, despite its existence.
>
>On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:08:41PM -0800, Ian Murray wrote:
>>
>> From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>
>>

>> > The Hayek crowd has pushed hardest in this direction, arguing that
>> the
>> > spontaneous order of markets is the appropriate response to chaos,
>> since
>> > planning is virtually impossible in the face of chaos.
>> > --
>> =========
>> Do the folks at Exxon-Mobil, Microsoft, Lufthansa Airlines, the
>> Marines and the FBI know that?

To be fair to the right, which I suppose one should be, they make a distinction between internal corporate planning and economy-wide planning. Corporations that make bad plans lose money and can go under, while those that made good plans will thrive; economies that make bad plans have to live with the consequences. Not that I subscribe to this, but it is what they'd say.

Doug