Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Nov 2 16:06:58 PST 2001

From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com>

> To be fair to the right, which I suppose one should be, they make a
> distinction between internal corporate planning and economy-wide
> planning. Corporations that make bad plans lose money and can go
> under, while those that made good plans will thrive; economies that
> make bad plans have to live with the consequences. Not that I
> subscribe to this, but it is what they'd say.
>
> Doug
========= Well we're all for fairness but lots of the arguments they've put forth for the distinction become very problematic even under non-radical assumptions of decentralized information production, processing, and diffusion. I've seen corporate planning in action and they've got nothing on governments when it comes to competence etc. On the other side, even corps. that have made good plans can go under if rivals have better contacts in the State. Of course, one could argue that, 'well, they didn't plan adequately for that contingency.' It's damn tricky.

Ian