"Drawing the Enemy in Deep" A Speculation

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 4 09:45:33 PST 2001

>From almost the beginning I have been reluctant to believe that
Washington could be so stupid as to involve themselves in a lengthy war anyplace in Asia. Nor could I believe that direct political/military control of a pipeline route could be a rational motive for such an involvement. They (U.S. & oil industry strategists) must know, I thought, as well as many of their critics that the oil of the region was available for sale to the "west" regardless of the military or political context in which it was produced.

But Washington _does_ seem to moving toward such a quagmire -- radically different from Vietnam but a quagmire nevertheless. It is, that is, allowing itself to drawn in deep. (This was Mao's phrase for the fundamental strategy of guerilla warfare.) And thus 9/11 promises to become the most successful terrorist act in human history: it has already achieved what (hypothetically) was its main or sole objective -- involving the U.S. in a war with the Islamic world.

Carrol