Political Repression under Liberal Democracy Re: Nancy Oden: Screwing the Greens?

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Nov 9 23:59:27 PST 2001

(...)

A political firestorm erupted this week in San Francisco when the FBI proposed that the S.F. Police Department join a proposed "Bay Area Counterterrorism Task Force," that "would investigate individuals and groups suspected of domestic or international terrorism," according to a copy of the FBI's proposal. [3]

Though apparently doomed by opposition from human rights organizations, immigrant rights groups, civil libertarians, Mayor Willie Brown and members of the Police Commission, the proposed task force would have operated under federal guidelines that preclude civilian oversight, implemented in the wake of the Bullock/Gerard spy scandal.

Roy Bullock, a San Francisco art dealer and S.F. police officer, Tom Gerard, a CIA "contract employee," ran a "private" version of the FBI's COINTELPRO operations against black, Chicano, labor, left, progressive and religious organizations between 1985-1992. [4]

Bullock, described by Covert Action Quarterly and the San Francisco Examiner as a "paid FBI informant" since 1957 [5] and Gerard, a CIA "bomb expert" who disclosed details of illegal CIA support for Latin American death squads, peddled information on progressive political activists to the governments of Israel and South Africa. [6]

(...) ------------------------------- There's no date on the story but the page source is dated August 1. Hopefully, this Roy Bollocks and his cop sidekick are history by now. But Michael's googling shows us that the US is shot through with fascistic plots of varying magnitude. I think it's only a matter of time when these will be portrayed as patriotic in the mainstream media, particularly when anti-war "traitors" become more vociferous.

The chatty party on this list, where Mina's giggles echo gaily, would do well to start addressing this.

Hakki