Top excuses for corporate layoffs

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 09:40:07 PST 2001

The Top 16 Excuses Given for Corporate Layoffs

16> "And now, a reading from the book of Greenspan, Chapter 11..."

15> "Hell, we've spent the next 3 years' payroll defending ourselves against all those sexual harassment suits you gals filed."

14> "We finally found a way to force 12-year-old girls in Malaysian sweatshops to do our middle management for us."

13> "We're moving to Mexico -- and you're not."

12> "Though performance has exceeded expectations, the Web Surfing 'n' Donut Eating Department has been deemed dispensable."

11> "The company just isn't ready for that kind of commitment and needs some space. We still want to be friends, though."

10> "Turns out we're just another front for Al Qaeda."

9> "Replacing you with a monkey would mean more efficiency, *and* less poo on the carpet."

8> "Remember last year's annual report, in which our CEO reported a sizable outlay of capital in the Jalalabad Hilton project...?"

7> "Miss Cleo says you gotta leave, you gotta leave."

6> "Adverse marketplace conditions necessitated a strategic resource reallocation to enable renewed focus on core competencies within key client segments, resulting in headcount rightsizing to hit shareholder-mandated returns. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

5> "Look at it this way -- you can see 'Harry Potter' every day this week if you want to."

4> "Please excuse Johnny for firing all those people.

He's a greedy, cold-hearted son-of-a-bitch. Signed, Johnny's Mom."

3> "It's all about providing our customers a quality product, Mr. Scapego-- er, Wilson."

2> "You'll notice your co-workers who haven't been wasting their time with Internet humor lists still have *their* jobs."

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Excuse Given for Corporate Layoffs...

1> "Look, it was either you or someone we like."

[ The Top 5 List www.topfive.com ]

[ Copyright 2001 by Chris White ]

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com