lbo-talk-digest V1 #5353

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Nov 30 01:05:20 PST 2001

> Instead General Suhaila Siddiq, 60, sighs with
> exasperation at Western
> feminists and their obsession with the burka,

okay--so, women who organize against women being cut up & beat up are "harping" about the burqua. Kinda like when the media says the ERA is about forcing men & women to use the same bathrooms?

Hmmm, I did not say this. "Harping on the burkas" means obsessing about particular aspects of Afghan culture that are popularly (presumably) accepted in Afghanistan, and not being concerned about women being raped and having acid thrown in their faces (something the Northern Alliance is much more guilty of than the Taliban, if you believe RAWA).

Chris Doss The Russia Journal