Impeach Bush

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Nov 30 11:41:56 PST 2001

From: "Daniel Davies" <dsquared at al-islam.com>

Impeach dictators?

>Bush should be impeached if he implements the secret military
>court. That's dictatorship. The way to deal with enemy soldiers is to
>put them in prison camps, not hold secret trials. Prisoners of war
>have rights. If you take them out and shoot them after a secret trial,
>you are a war criminal. Charles Brown

errrrmmm ... the fact that you are describing Bush as a dictator in your second sentence after calling for him to be impeached by democratically elected houses of parliament in your first suggests to me that Kelley, Justin, Brad et al might have a point when they talk about "knee-jerk anti-Americanism"?

%%%%%

CB: mmmrrrrrree ....My anti-Americanism is thoughtful, conscious, fully aware. It is not an unthinking reflex, like a knee jerking in response to a doctor's hammer. "KneeJerk" anti-Americanism is a phrase used as a cover for pro-imperialism, or sneaky pro-imperialism . It makes about as much sense as a concept of "kneejerk anti-imperialism" . Of course I am automatically against imperialism . Aren't you ? Do you hestitate in opposing imperialism ? .

It would be better said I have a strong presumption against the political correctness of U.S. foreign policy in this era of U.S. hegmonic imperialism, genocidal wars and support of terrorist regimes and gangs in its neo-colonies. There really have been no examples in the last 50 years of the U.S. being anything but imperialist in foreign policy, so this presumption is warranted. The burden is on the proponents of the current U. S. war to rebut the presumption that it is imperialist.

Also, I can't see how Bush seizing dictatorial powers would count against the idea that the U.S. is imperialist. It doesn't support any argument that being anti-American is unthinking or a reflex.

Don't you think it would be foolish to discuss anything but a LEGAL way of removing Bush, in this reactionary climate of open definition of "terrorism "?

So, do you disagree that Bush has seized dictatorial powers ? Even William Safire, no anti-imperialist, says Bush is trying to seize dictatorial powers.

Anyway, I can see your saying that there is a practical problem of legally removing an illegal dictator, but I don't see the connection you are making between Bush seizing illegal powers and imperialism or anti-imperialism. Bourgeois democratic republics can be imperialist even if not in a fascist/dictatorial phase.